If you’ve ever felt like your current bathroom needs a facelift, then thinking about a bathroom remodel project can be exciting! As one of the most used rooms in the house, your bathroom should be a bright, cheery, and relaxing room that matches your personality.
But if you’ve ever started thinking about bathroom remodeling ideas, you’ve probably had a second thought: How much does it cost to remodel my bathroom?
The answer can be a complicated one, as the cost of a bathroom remodel is determined by a wide variety of factors—even the method you use to pay for it!
How Much Does A Bathroom Remodel Cost?
In general, you should expect a bathroom remodel to cost between $10,000 and $30,000, according to Realtor. But like many other projects around the house, this can vary wildly.
For example, according to Modernize, here’s how the average project often breaks down:
- Half bathroom – $3,000 to $10,000
- Full bathroom – $7,000 to $20,000
- Master bathroom – $14,000 to $25,000+
With that data in mind, the Realtor projections are pretty close! In general, the bigger the bathroom, the bigger the overall cost.
6 Factors That Can Influence the Cost for Your Bathroom Remodel
Here are a few factors that can influence how much your bathroom remodel can cost:
1. Location. If you live right next to your contractor and their supplier, that significantly decreases the cost of transportation and travel. But if you live in a remote community, it can be harder to deliver goods and services to your home, and that can potentially increase prices.
2. The size of the bathroom. The size of the bathroom can influence the price of a variety of items, including your flooring, flooring installation, and any special features on the walls, like wainscotting or tile.
3. Custom work. It’s one thing to want a new row of cabinets in your bathroom. It’s another thing to want entirely custom cabinets in your bathroom. That’s true of everything else as well: Anything you want to be produced custom for your bathroom will require a greater investment of time, talent, and materials. All of that can dramatically influence costs!
4. Bathroom features and appliances. Costs can vary widely for bathroom features, especially for:
- Flooring materials
- Bathtubs and showers
- Cabinets and countertops
- Sinks and faucets
- Lights and electrical work
5. Accessibility features. Anything that makes your bathroom a little safer, like a shower chair or a railing in the bathtub, requires a little more hardware and installation time. These can gradually increase the overall costs of your bathroom remodel! (Check out our article on designing ADA-compliant showers to learn more.)
6. Moving walls. If you’re changing the square footage or configuration of the bathroom, you’re probably demolishing and rebuilding walls. This can require extra wood, drywall, paint, and time!
3 Ways to Finance Your Bathroom Remodel Project
Most bathroom remodels cost between $10,000 and $30,000. That can be an intimidating figure, especially if you don’t have that much cash in the bank.
But there are a few different strategies you can use to pay for your new bathroom! Here are a few of the most popular (and most effective):
- Use our flexible financing option! We offer a simple financing option through Hearth that allows you to make easy monthly payments on your shower instead of a few larger payments. Learn how to finance your bathroom remodel with Pittsburgh Tub & Shower!
- Use a home improvement loan. Most home improvement loans have relatively short repayment timelines and lower fees. In fact, most only go up to a 12-year maximum. Still, paying off a $30,000 bathroom over 12 years can be rather enticing, as you could wind up paying $210 a month, plus interest.
- Use a home equity line of credit (HELOC). A HELOC is a secured loan that puts your home up as collateral, meaning you could lose your home if you fail to make your payments on time. However, HELOC rates often fluctuate with market conditions, which means you can sometimes get a very nice interest rate for your bathroom remodel!
Start Your Bathroom Remodel Project
If you’re ready to start your bathroom remodel project, contact us! We’ll get you a free estimate and discuss your options for financing your remodel.