If you’re thinking about remodeling your bathroom, you’ve probably asked these questions at least once: How much value does a bathroom remodel add to a home? And how much value could a bathroom remodel add to my home? These are good questions, especially when you’re trying to figure out how much your bathroom renovation will cost.
Fortunately, we have an answer you’ll probably like: Compared to other major home renovations, a bathroom remodel is a relatively high-return project! In fact, depending on the scope of your bathroom remodel and the state of your home, you could increase your home value by an extra 10%. In other words, if your home is currently worth $180,000, a really high-quality master bathroom remodel could increase your home value to $198,000.
Of course, many of the variables surrounding your ROI really depend on the bathroom remodeling ideas you have in mind. Let’s take a closer look!
Why Does A Bathroom Remodel Influence Home Value?
Your bathroom is one of the most important rooms in the house. Like your bedroom and kitchen, the bathroom is a critical part of living a healthy and sanitary life, and it’s a relatively high-traffic area.
If you’re aiming for a big ROI on your bathroom remodel here are a few things to consider:
1. Don’t skip plumbing enhancements. The plumbing under your sink or behind your toilet may not get much attention, but there’s a reason it’s important: A small leak or drip can lead to mold, mildew, or rotting wood—all of which can be troublesome to fix, hazardous to you health, and detrimental to your home’s resale value. If you’re already thinking about a remodel, now is a good time to give your plumbing a checkup to make sure everything’s working properly.
2. Enhance your lighting. Great lighting can significantly improve the overall appearance and ambiance within your bathroom. And while Edison bulbs can provide an additional certain sense of Romanticism and LEDs can be sharp and energy efficient, dimmer switches can be especially impactful in generating a positive ROI. Good lighting is so important, we even made it the focal point for one of our Tip Tuesdays on social media!
4. Consider whether the renovation vision fits in with the rest of the home. While we’re talking about high-materials and luxury items, be sure that the final version of your renovation fits in with the rest of the home. For example, if you have a traditional farmhouse, an ultra-modern, minimalistic bathroom may feel out of place. Be mindful of the rest of your home and your vision for other rooms in the future.
5. Improve your storage. Storage in any bathroom is a major luxury, so increasing your storage options in an aesthetically pleasing manner can really increase the appeal of your remodel. For example, a beautiful shower niche or extra storage under the sink can really enhance the functionality of the bathroom. For more storage ideas, check out our blog post on small bathroom ideas!
How Much A Bathroom Remodel Increases Home Value
Although the stats differ between sources, a bathroom renovation will generally recoup about 60% of its overall investment.
So, how does that break down into hard numbers?
In our post on how to calculate your bathroom remodel costs, we gave you a rough ballpark of remodeling costs based on the size of your bathroom and the ambitiousness of your project:
- Half bathroom – $3,000 to $10,000
- Full bathroom – $7,000 to $20,000
- Master bathroom – $14,000 to $25,000+
If each of those projects saw a 60% ROI, here’s how each one would increase home values:
- Half bathroom – $3,000 to $10,000 – ROI: $1,800-$6,000
- Full bathroom – $7,000 to $20,000 – ROI: $4,200-$12,000
- Master bathroom – $14,000 to $25,000+ – $8,400-$15,000+
Now, let’s compare that to the ROI for your home. According to Zillow, the average value of a home in Pittsburgh as of June 2022 was $238,000. If your master bathroom renovation costs $25,000 and your home was initially worth $238,000, you could potentially see your home value increase by $15,000—6.3%.
Of course, as we’ll discuss in the next section, a bathroom remodel’s ROI can also extend well beyond the value of your home.
Thinking Beyond the ROI of Your Bathroom Remodel
When thinking about the ROI of your bathroom remodel and its influence on your home value, remember there are intangible, non-financial benefits as well!
If you’re currently living with a poorly aged or deteriorating bathroom, you may feel a constant nagging desire to enhance your living space.
Treating yourself to a better bathroom can result in a brighter, more user-friendly bathroom, and that can lift your confidence, happiness, and overall wellbeing! Plus, you’ll experience increased levels of pride and satisfaction as you luxuriate in enhanced functionality and a better overall experience!
Those factors may not show up in the value of your home, but they will appear in the way you feel each day—and that’s a value that’s tough to measure!
Finance Your Bathroom Remodel Today!
Did you know you can fully finance your bathroom remodel by visiting our financing page? We have many different payment options!
To learn more about your remodeling options—including a free quote—fill out the form on our contact page or call 412-403-6183.